Winter is officially here and we have already had our first BIG storm. Below are a few tips to follow while driving and the items that should be included in your Emergency Kit.
1. Check forecast and road conditions (Online www.511ia.gov IA cell phone 511)
2. Check to be sure your vehicle is in good running condition; fluid levels are checked and filled, as well as a full tank of gas.
3. Turn on your headlights.
4. Avoid cruise control and don’t pull out in front of oncoming traffic.
5. Reduce your speed and allow space between you and the surrounding vehicles.
6. Stay alert! Know your surroundings, bridges (overpass) and exits freeze over first.
7. IF stranded, leave one window cracked, snow and ice can seal off a vehicle, make sure the exhaust is cleared, and run the vehicle 10 minutes every hour.
Emergency Kit should include:
First Aid Kit (Bandages/Pain Reliever)
Non-Perishable Food Items Such As Canned Peanuts or Hard Candies
Coat, Hat, Mittens & Boots
Sand or Salt