It’s something to do with your Iowa Auto Insurance policy and it’s something you don’t want to hear about!  BUT, I’m going to tell you anyway.  (Of course you could stop reading here and leave the page I guess!) 


Anyway, UM is Uninsured Motorist coverage and UIM is Underinsured Motorist coverage.  Both have become much more expensive in recent years.  Why?  Good question.  This coverage pays for Bodily Injury (injury to your body!) if you or someone in or on your vehicle/cycle is injured and the party at fault, other than you, doesn’t have any insurance or has less insurance than you want and have on your policy.  Your limits should always be at least as much as the Bodily Injury limits on your car for the other guy in case you are at fault.  Why would you want to protect the other guy better than you protect your own family?  Answer:  You wouldn’t if you understood the coverage.


These claims don’t occur often but they are usually severe claims costing thousands of dollars.  I saw a policy just today for a motorcycle and the Uninsured Motorist premium for one year was $90!  Seems high but if you are struck by an uninsured or underinsured motorist on your motorcycle, your chances of surviving without serious injuries are slim.  It’s not likely that you will be able to get up and get the other vehicle’s license plate number either.  He may just drive away.  In this case, we assume he was uninsured and would pay under this part of your own policy.


If you have Umbrella insurance, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is available on that policy too, buy it.  Many companies do not even offer it there.


Call us for a quote on your Iowa auto and Iowa home insurance needs.  If you have questions on this important coverage, call us at 515-964-0637 or 1-888-464-0637.